
I lived in this cottage for many a year.....I brought my children up in it. Many a summer day was spent here. Many games were played on the front lawn : volley ball, deck coits, crocket! Many horses were brought to a halt on this front lawn and many tiny bodies cried out "Mummy Look!"
There was a willow tree bang next to the house, where in the 60's Pancho (hubbie) would make "asados" on the ground....things very simple at that time!
I remember sitting up against the willow tree one night, when there was a half moon up above and a warming blaze below and meat on the grill and serenity was the mood, amongst the grass, the flames, the embers, the bushes and the dim brick walls of the house....there we were, just enjoying all this until the meat was ready......when I chanced to look up at the branches above and saw 6 pairs of ears looking down at me, and in there where the shadows were, scintillating signs of little black eyes......ohhh how sweet I thought to myself...."Pancho what animal is that?".....I said lazily, and as Pancho was poking at the embers and tending to the sizzling beef and in a world of his own.....he barely heard me. So when I repeated and looked down to query and draw his attention to me, he looked up at me and then further up and gave one hell of a shout and leapt to his feet, much to my consternation....."Sweet my ......, haven't you ever seen an opposum, don't you know what an opposum is??? He bellowed as he belted into the house and out again with a shot-gun in his hands. Then legs spread out and gun pointing upwards : boooom, booom, booom..... and that was the end of the pricked little ears: the baby oppossums they were blown to smithereens and presently the mother also fell to the ground (in one piece)....a rather unpleasant beastie with lots of sharp teeth in a grimacing mouth: black and white striped hairy and smelly body and a horrible hairless tail. Ma oppossum and etc. were thrown into the 200lt. tank that was the rubbish bin at that time.....and we ate the beef ribs with Pancho going into lurid details of how oppossums attack chickens......He was brought up in a far more rural setting, really out in the wild west on an estancia called "Arerungua".......
There was a willow tree bang next to the house, where in the 60's Pancho (hubbie) would make "asados" on the ground....things very simple at that time!
I remember sitting up against the willow tree one night, when there was a half moon up above and a warming blaze below and meat on the grill and serenity was the mood, amongst the grass, the flames, the embers, the bushes and the dim brick walls of the house....there we were, just enjoying all this until the meat was ready......when I chanced to look up at the branches above and saw 6 pairs of ears looking down at me, and in there where the shadows were, scintillating signs of little black eyes......ohhh how sweet I thought to myself...."Pancho what animal is that?".....I said lazily, and as Pancho was poking at the embers and tending to the sizzling beef and in a world of his own.....he barely heard me. So when I repeated and looked down to query and draw his attention to me, he looked up at me and then further up and gave one hell of a shout and leapt to his feet, much to my consternation....."Sweet my ......, haven't you ever seen an opposum, don't you know what an opposum is??? He bellowed as he belted into the house and out again with a shot-gun in his hands. Then legs spread out and gun pointing upwards : boooom, booom, booom..... and that was the end of the pricked little ears: the baby oppossums they were blown to smithereens and presently the mother also fell to the ground (in one piece)....a rather unpleasant beastie with lots of sharp teeth in a grimacing mouth: black and white striped hairy and smelly body and a horrible hairless tail. Ma oppossum and etc. were thrown into the 200lt. tank that was the rubbish bin at that time.....and we ate the beef ribs with Pancho going into lurid details of how oppossums attack chickens......He was brought up in a far more rural setting, really out in the wild west on an estancia called "Arerungua".......

Living Sauce y Cocina/Comedor Sauce.
No comments:
Post a Comment